OYHA has aligned the Mite program with USA Hockey’s ADM (American Development Model). This has several advantages to our very young players and their development. In general, it brings the area of play to a smaller, more manageable size for the kids (cross ice/half ice games) and allows for more ‘touches’ of the puck. Just like in soccer or baseball, the younger kids play on a much smaller size field.
OYHA has been a part of a Red, White and Blue (RWB) League in the Milwaukee area for the past several years. The other clubs in this league include Milwaukee Winter Club, Arrowhead, Elmbrook, Pettit, Waukesha and others. All of these clubs also set their teams using this RWB structure.
The clubs meet throughout the year and have set rules that all teams follow no matter where the games are played. We also schedule the entire season together in one large group as it can be very difficult to manage with varying sizes and number of teams for each club. Almost all rinks will have 2 Mite games being played at the same time on the same sheet of ice.
Season: The Mite season typically starts the last week of September/first week of October with warm up sessions followed by evaluations. The season ends in mid-March.
Practices: Mites will practice on average 2x per week. Ice sessions are approximately 50 minutes - 1 hour in length.
Games: Teams play approximately 15-20 games. The games are on weekends. Mites also have the opportunity to participate in Mite tournament(s) following the tournament policy posted on this website.
Fees: Can be found on the website for Mite level. Additional costs for the season may include any tournament you attend, any end of the year party and/or player/coaches/manager gifts, etc. Players are required to provide all their own equipment.
Travel: The only travel is to play other RWB league clubs. The league tries to schedule more games with teams located closer to OYHA.
Once again this season, CUW and OYHA are pleased to announce an agreement where the CUW Men’s and Women’s hockey team players will actively support the Mite division of OHYA. Here are the highlights of the program:
• OYHA is very excited for the opportunity for our early skaters to be able to learn from college athletes which we believe is a unique experience in southeast Wisconsin!
• We hope this is just the beginning of a relationship that will strengthen OYHA’s ability to develop talented hockey players and provide a great experience for the entire hockey community.
• CUW will provide a predetermined number of on-ice instructors at Mite practices throughout the hockey season.
• CUW players will help run drills, demonstrate proper techniques, and help ensure Mites are enjoying their on-ice experience.
• This opportunity provides a higher coach-player ratio which helps the overall development of our Mites.
• Each Mite player will be afforded the opportunity to play in between periods at a home CUW hockey game. This experience will include a free Falcons t-shirt and free admission for all family members for that game.